My Game Editor

Started by
9 comments, last by mav-eric-k 15 years, 11 months ago
I've put up another video on the game editor I'm working on. Right now I'm focusing on using it together with C# to make retro 2D games, but it's all very customizable and I could easily use it for a 3d game instead. It let's you put together a scene visually and then handle events for each object in code, much like how you build a windows application in Visual Basic.
">This is the new video
">This is the first video Let me know what you think.
Advertisement
hmm... I seem to have very bad timing.
GameDev went offline pretty much right after I posted this.

Oh, well. At least GameDev is up and running again now!

Oh, and let me know if there's anything you think I should add or change about the editor. Thanks!
Well, thanks to the low resolution of YouTube its hard to read the code, and without actually using it its hard see how good or useful it is. I recommend you give us a library to judge instead of a video.

As for being able to use such a visual approach, that is handy for more newbie developers and (very) small games, but unfortunately you're also competing with many commercial products. Though if you are doing this just for the fun/education, then who cares what else is out there. ;)
NetGore - Open source multiplayer RPG engine
Thanks for the comments Spodi,
The video's are just until I finish enough to put up a download. Then you won't have to try to read the code from youtube. :)

Yes, I am doing this mostly for fun/education but I would also like this to be something beginners can actually use.

It's true that many commercial products allow visual editing such as:

Game Maker - http://www.yoyogames.com/make
Flash ------ http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/
DXStudio --- http://www.dxstudio.com/
Blade3d ---- http://www.blade3d.com/

...but maybe there are some features that could help someone new to game programming.

Great Job, on vbGORE! I'm about to download it now. Looks like you're also interested in making game development easier. :>
Well thank you very much. :)

I'm curious about how you approach the Drag & Drop system. Did you just create controls to drag from the default form editor? Or did you create your own? Or...? I'm working on a C#/XNA GUI system right now (theres a few out there already, but most seem to be some combination of only half-finished, closed source, and abandoned) and being able to just drag/drop the elements could be quite helpful, but I can not think of any decent way to approach this without an abundance of work.
NetGore - Open source multiplayer RPG engine
Could you transcode the source video to a high-res video file (.MP4 , .AVI , etc...) and upload it to mediafire? That would make it much easier to see, unless the source video is still at 200 x 200 or whatever Youtube is using...
WTF!? You're the Spodi that made VBGore!??! I must be really stupid, it says so right in your sig... Anyways, VBGore is really nice, but I prefer XtremeWorlds (Bradyok).
Hey Spodi,
I made my own "controls" instead of using WinForms, since WinForms doesn't do rotations and I don't want the game engine to depend on WinForms (I'm using XNA also, and I want to keep XBOX 360 support).

My engine supports object picking, and the basic transformations (rotation, translation and scaling). The editor uses the game's graphics engine, so the editor lets the engine to most of the work.

It's getting late, and I'm a bit tired, so I'll have to give you a proper explanation tomorrow.
Hey Dylanwinn,
I do have a higher-res version of the video, but if you're just trying to read the source code for the games I could post the C# files instead.

(Of course, the engine is still a work in progress so some of the code may change quite a lot by the time this is released)
Take it from a guy that's desperately trying to learn a programming language to make his own games-- if you want to make a game editor for us newbies, you have to make sure that we never have to see any code-- the code should write itself for us as we choose our options. (Code should be available to view for more experienced programmers...)

As it is now, only experienced programmers can use your program. But why use it when they can make their own games? Your target audience is me and my clueless friends.

What I would expect from an editor that claims to be Drag-n-Drop-- is that when I right-click on a sprite, it will open up a menu that will:

a. identify the sprite as a player-controlled character, background character, or enemy.

b. Is the character solid?
-- If a player-controlled character, what player?

c. What type of action you want for it, whether you want it to attack you, give you some dialogue, punch you and run away, etc.

d. Is the character stuck in one place, or does he follow a track, etc...
-- If he follows a track, set up the track for the character to follow.

This is just off the top of my head, if you want me to really get in-depth, I will do so.

Good job, either way. I like your layouts and designs. You just have to stop thinking as yourself, a skilled programmer, and start thinking as a lowly newbie.

I'll help you test if you want.

[Edited by - deathtojohnny on May 16, 2008 2:56:52 PM]
=============================================MEGA MAN EVOLUTIONMy first project was re-designing a dead franchise. Copy/paste the link below into your address bar for a video sample of the gameplay.http://thedelusionaldreamers.com/video/mmevid.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement